Walt Disney Home Entertainment has officially announced its upcoming 25th anniversary Blu-ray edition of Henry Selick’s The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), available for purchase from September 4th.
In the Nightmare before Christmas, Jack Skellington, Halloweentown’s beloved pumpkin is bored with the same old annual scare fest and routine. The pumpkin has more joyful aspirations and what he truly desires is to spread the cheer of Christmas. Unfortunately, the pumpkin’s new-found passion puts Santa’s livelihood on the rocks and creates a nightmare for the good boys and girls everywhere.
Jack is surrounded by a spooky and captivating collection of characters, including Sally, a rag doll who just wants to fit in – just like Jack. And don’t forget mad scientist Dr. Finklestein; the two-faced mayor of Halloween town; Oogie Boogie, a rambling gambling bag of bugs and Lock who is one in a trio of troublesome trick or treaters.
- Song Selection – Shriek along with the ghoulish tunes from the movie, or just lend an ear if you find singing to be particularly gruesome
- “This Is Halloween”
- “Jack’s Lament”
- “What’s This”?
- “Town Meeting Son”
- “Jack’s Obsessions”
- “Kidnap the Sandy Claws”
- “Making Christmas”
- “Oogie Boogie’s Song”
- “Sally’s Song”
- “Poor jack”
- Tim Burton’s Early Film: “Vincent” – Vincent Price himself narrates this stop-motion tale of little Vincent Malloy and his fascination with the macabre
- Posters – Take a look at some promotional posters from the movie’s release
CLASSIC BONUS FEATURES
- The Making of
- The Beginning – Tim Burton and the filmmakers detail the early stages of the beloved film
- Music- Discover how composer and lyricist Danny Elfman expressed Tim Burton’s unique vision through the timeless songs heard in the film
- Storyboards – In the storyboard phase, visual representations are first drawn for each scene and then put together in sequential order
- Art Direction – From camera angles to miniature sets, just about every detail of the film was meticulously plotted by the filmmakers
- Puppets – All of the characters’ puppet models are constructed in a process that takes them from their metal base to the final painted mould
- Animation – An incredible mix of artistry and patience is required to produce the stop-motion magic of The Nightmare before Christmas
- Tim Burton’s Early Film: “Frankenweenie” (Uncut Version) – Before Tim Burton gave us all nightmares, he created this electrifying short film that replaces Frankenstein’s monster with a dog
- “What’s This?” Jack’s Haunted Mansion Tour – Take a ride through Jack’s haunted Mansion Holiday and see how Disney Imagineers transformed an iconic Disneyland attraction
- Tim Burton’s Original Poem Narrated by Christopher Lee – Hear Hollywood legend Christopher Lee narrate the poem that inspired the movie. Set over illustrations based on Tim Burton’s art
- Storyboard to film comparison – See the final version of Jack’s Christmas pitch to the people of Halloween Town next to the original storyboards
- Theatrical Trailer – In this theatrical trailer, enter a place where every day is Halloween, till Jack Skellington shares his unique view of Christmas
- Teaser Trailer – This trailer highlights Disney’s long history with technology in filmmaking and heralds a new collaboration with Tim Burton